We are pleased to welcome Michael Bungay Stanier back on the show. He is one of the world’s most respected coaches, author of The Coaching Habit, and founder of Box of Crayons, which helps organisations harness the power of curiosity to drive culture. Since we last spoke, Michael published a new book called The Advice Trap, and stepped away from the leading position at the Box of Crayons to explore new routes in his business and life.
What is Covered
- Why coaching and self-coaching are key leadership skills for the future of work and business
- How curiosity helps us manage overload and identify the real challenges in front of us
- What is the ‘advice trap’ and how to successfully avoid it in order to really help your coachees
Key Learnings and Takeaways
- Coaching is a key technology which allows the best of ourselves to show up and do our best work, and innovation is an ongoing part of how we work all the time.
- The new style of leadership for the future is more humane, scalable, and requires deep personal work to build your coaching muscle and stay curious.
- Working less hard but smarter as a coach has multiple benefits in increasing competence, confidence, wisdom and building capacity in others.
Links And Resources Mentioned In This Episode
- The Advice Trap: Be Humble, Stay Curious and Change The Way You Lead Forever by Michael Bungay Stanier
- Box of Crayons
- The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More and Change The Way You Lead Forever, by Michael Bungay Stanier
- How to Publish a Book on Amazon (and sell over 100,000 copies the SMART way) by Michael Bungay Stanier
- Brave New Work: Are You Ready To Reinvent Your Organisation? by Aaron Dignan
- The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzken and interview with Tim Ferris
- You Are Awesome: How to Navigate Change, Wrestle with Failure, and Live an Intentional Life, by Neil Pasricha
- MBS Works
- Connect with Michael Bungay Stanier on LinkedIn