Eric Jorgenson is an investor, business builder, startup growth strategist and the author of “The Almanack of Naval Ravikant”. He also runs the online Leverage Course which I’m attending right now. In this conversation, we discuss both Naval Ravikant’s wisdom, why and how Eric curated it into a book that I highly recommend, as well as how the Leverage Course came about.
They don’t teach you this kind of material in business schools or in any executive development or leadership programs. And yet, I would have loved to have had access to this kind of material 15 or 20 years ago. I firmly believe that many of these tools, models and insights are going to be fundamental for surviving and thriving in the world we live in.
We also explored areas such as WEB03, crypto and the concept of permissionlessness. A number of projects that I’m actively working on today owe quite a lot of their design and the momentum behind them to Eric and his materials.
What is Covered:
- How the idea to curate Naval Ravikant’s reflections into a book came about and the results it produced
- The concept of premissionlessness and who are the gatekeepers in today’s world
- The mental model of leverage and how to reinvest in leverage
- WEB03 and its impact on future society
Key Takeaways and Learnings:
- There’s a lot of ways to earn money if you unbundle the concept of a career, and all you’re trying to do is get money in the most suitable way possible for your particular set of tastes and interests
- Permissionlessness is an important concept to embrace, because the Internet of meritocracy and WEB03 technology is making opportunity more global and more universally available by the day.
- You can continually reinvest in leverage and go from 1x productivity to 10x or to 100x productivity. This type of leverage is not leverage over somebody. We are all somebody else’s leverage, this is a mutually beneficial agreement between all of us that results in consumer surplus
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Almanck of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness, by Eric Jorgenson
- Leverage Course by Eric Jorgenson
- Connect with Eric Jorgenson on Twitter
- Principles: Life and Work by Ray Dalio
- How Not How: The Formula to Achieve Bigger Goals Through Accelerating Teamwork, by Dan Sullivan and Dr. Benjamin Hardy
- Technological Revolutions and Financial Capital, by Carlota Perez
- The Infinite Machine: How an Army of Crypto-Hackers is Building the Next Internet with Ethereum, by Camila Russo
- Drug Cartels, Vanguard and Goldman Sachs with Codie Sanchez on Jorgenson’s Soundbox Podcast
- Into the DAO with Simon Judd: How Index Coop is Building Crypto Index Products on Jorgenson’s Soundbox Podcast WaitButWhy and G64 Co-Founder Andrew Finn on How to Acquire a Free Company on Jorgenson’s Soundbox Podcast
- Chris Dixon and Naval Ravikant — The Wonders of Web3, How to Pick the Right Hill to Climb, Finding the Right Amount of Crypto Regulation, Friends with Benefits, and the Untapped Potential of NFTs on The Tim Ferris Show
- Bankless Podcast
- Mohnish Pabrai: Cloning, Learning from Charlie Munger, 100 Baggers on OutsideVoices Podcast
- Nicholas Thomas: The Return of Curiosity – Encounters with the Unknown on OutsideVoices Podcast